Text Size:

Veteran Resources


Aid & Attendance

  • The Basics
  • Eligibility
  • Applying for Benefits
Ready to learn more about veterans benefits? Speak with a Morningside Ministries representative today.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

More than one third of Americans over 65 are either wartime veterans or the spouse of a wartime vet, who may qualify for a pension program through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), commonly referred to as “Aid & Attendance,” yet, only a small fraction of those who are eligible actually know about this benefit. Thousands of families already benefit immensely from the pension program, to help pay for quality care they could not have afforded otherwise. Any veteran or spouse of a veteran who is exploring senior communities, or any family member searching on their behalf, should inquire about Aid & Attendance.

The Basics

What is Veterans Aid and Attendance Pension?

veterans-page-leftAid and Attendance is part of an Improved Pension Benefit for Veterans. This Improved Pension allows both Veterans and their surviving spouses who require regular assistance for daily activities like eating, bathing, dressing, taking medication or using the restroom to receive additional monetary benefits. It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity. Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, Nursing Home or Assisted Living facility.

A Veteran is eligible for up to $1,788 per month, while a surviving spouse is eligible for up to $1,149 per month. A Veteran with a Spouse is eligible for up to $2,120 per month and a Veteran with a Sick Spouse is eligible for up to $1,406 per month*

Do I qualify for aid or attendance?

What are Housebound Benefits?

Veterans who apply for Housebound benefits may receive an increase in their monthly pension amount if they are substantially confined to their home or immediate premises due to a permanent disability. Apply for Housebound benefits by writing to the Pension Management Center (PMC) that serves your state. You may also visit your local regional benefit office to file your request.

Where can I receive additional help?

Morningside Ministries has a standing relationship with The Bexar County Veterans Service Office. They are an advocate agency established to assist veterans, their dependents and survivors obtain earned benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The Bexar County Veterans Service Office takes appointments for benefits counseling and referral services. You can contact their office to set up an appointment at (210) 335-6775 or by
e-mail at Vets@Bexar.org.